This flavoursome curry is perfect for a Saturday night at home and an excellent choice to wow your dinner guests.
Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking: about 1.5 hrs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3cm fresh ginger, grated
- 200g Thai green curry paste
- 800ml coconut milk
- 2 lemongrass stalks, outer leaves removed and inner stalk roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 800g diced lamb shoulder, cut into 3cm cubes
- 400g Thai aubergines, quartered
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 5–10 red chillies, halved lengthwise (deseeded if you don’t want it too hot)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Small bunch of Thai basil
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium to high, and fry the shallots, garlic and ginger for about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the curry paste in and sauté over a medium heat until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add a quarter of the coconut milk, the lemongrass stalks and sugar; mix and simmer for about 2–3 minutes.
- Now add the diced lamb and stir well, coating it all in the paste.
- Next, pour the remaining coconut milk in and simmer for 1¼ hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Add the aubergines and cook for about 10 minutes (or longer if preferred), adding some water to thin the sauce if necessary.
- Stir in the fish sauce, lemon juice and the chillies and cook for another 2–3 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as required.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the Thai basil.
Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Fancy a different type of curry? Take a look at our Mutton Curry recipe.