A traditional beef chilli, wholesome and filling. Serve with pitta bread or rice.
Cooking: 60 mins
- 1–2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 small red onions, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g minced beef
- 50ml soy sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 x 400g tin kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 10g dark chocolate, grated
- 1 red pepper, cut into 2cm strips, ½cm thick
- 1–3 fresh chillies, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole dish and fry the chopped onion and garlic for about 3–4 minutes.
- Add the minced beef and fry for about 5–8 minutes until brown.
- Add the soy sauce, salt, chilli powder, ground cumin and smoked paprika. Stir until well mixed.
- Add the kidney beans, chickpeas and chopped tomatoes. Heat until warm throughout.
- Add the maple syrup and dark chocolate. Stir until well mixed.
- Add the red pepper and chillies.
- Simmer for about 35–40 minutes. Add more salt, if needed.
Serve with pitta bread or rice.
Fancy an Italian classic instead? How about Spaghetti Bolognese?