This colourful and flavoursome balsamic lamb steak salad is easy to prepare and good for you too.
Preparation: 20 mins
Cooking: 45 mins
- 2 tsp mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 600g lamb steaks
- 600g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
- 100g fresh baby spinach and rocket
- 90g beetroot
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 75g mozzarella, shredded
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6).
- Whisk the mustard, olive oil and balsamic vinegar together, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set half the salad dressing aside and use the other half to marinade the lamb.
- Once marinated, cover the lamb and set aside.
- Line a tray with baking paper, add the butternut squash, spray with the oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 30 minutes (or until cooked to your liking), turning the pieces midway through, and then transfer to a salad bowl.
- Meanwhile, preheat your barbeque grill or frying pan to medium-high. Uncover the lamb and barbeque/fry for 3–4 minutes on each side (for medium), or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach, rocket, beetroot, onion and carrot to the salad bowl. Top with the salad dressing and toss gently to mix it all up.
- Divide the salad between four plates, shred the mozzarella and thinly slice the lamb and layer both ingredients on top of the salad, and serve.
These stuffed BBQ mushrooms make a great starter.